As a resident of The Villages, you're likely basking in the wonderful amenities that a retirement community can provide. But even though you've retired, you might not necessarily slow down. In fact, there's a good chance you'll still do plenty of driving.
If you are an older driver, you face unique driving risks. This is the case anywhere, even in a planned community like The Villages. So, it's imperative that you carry appropriate auto insurance for your needs.
Learn More About The Villages Insurance
Florida Auto Insurance
Drivers residing in The Villages need auto insurance that effectively covers them. As each driver's risk level is unique, even your next door neighbor might need different coverage. Therefore, when you start the search for auto insurance, think about the coverage you'll need.
Start by obtaining Florida's minimum required auto insurance. Florida drivers must carry at least:
- $10,000 Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage
- $10,000 Property Damage Liability (PDL) Protection
However, drivers in The Villages need much more than just the minimum coverage. Consider investing in more coverage to better protect the value of your vehicle, your own safety and your personal assets. Many drivers invest in comprehensive, collision, bodily injury liability, uninsured/underinsured coverage and various other forms of protection.
How to Afford Your Coverage
Simply put, seniors have a higher risk of accidents or other claims because of various issues related to age. You might worry that enhanced driving risks might drive your rates up. Senior citizens often want to save as much as they can on their auto insurance in order to protect their savings.
However, your age isn't only factor that influences your rates. And many of the other ones are controllable. You can take preventative steps to help keep your rates manageable:
- Maintain good credit. Many insurers look at your financial standing as an indicator of risk.
- Keep a clean driving record. Insurers usually judge your risk level by how many claims or moving violations you've experienced. A history of problems usually indicates a higher risk.
- Ask about policy discounts. You might qualify for various policy savings – such as accident-free, low mileage or senior citizens discounts.
- Successfully complete a safe driving course. By doing this, you can often qualify for a discount and improve your driving risks. It is a win-win situation.
- Change your driving habits. As an older driver, you may no longer need to commute to work. Or, perhaps you might decide to downsize to a smaller vehicle or drive less frequently. Tell your insurer about these lifestyle changes, and you might save on coverage.
Seniors, it is a good idea to compare auto insurers when looking for a policy. Work with an independent agency like Ahrens Insurance Agency that has multiple insurers who have strong, established reputations in Florida. Contact us today so we can help you find a policy that meets your cost and coverage needs in The Villages.
Get A Quote