The Villages, Florida's property crime rate is 7.29 occurrences per 1,000 residents according to NeigborhoodScout. This is lower than both the statewide and national rate, which were 28.13 and 26 respectively.
Regardless of how safe The Villages is, it still faces a crime risk. Such crimes may include the theft or destruction of someone's property. So, it's important to protect against these incidents.
Protective Measures for Your Home in The Villages
Residents of The Villages should always see to their homes' safety. The right steps greatly reduce your risks.
- Install security systems around your home. These may include cameras, burglar alarms, and notification systems for the authorities. With today's smart home security systems, homeowners may also be able to use automatic locking and self-monitoring systems to keep an eye on their home. Home insurance providers may offer policy discounts if you utilize these systems.
- Never leave your home without locking all possible points of entry. These may include windows, doors, cellars and even chimneys or ventilation pipes. If you notice damages that may provide a burglar easy access to your home, repair them promptly.
- Store your valuables in secure areas. Some homeowners may use safes or reinforced closets. Do not discuss these areas' existence with others. Always lock them when you leave the home.
- Never advertise on social media when you will not be home. Only let a trusted group of acquaintances know, and ask if they will monitor your home.
- Do not prominently display your most valuable items. For example, don't place an expensive TV within view of the street. This may tip off prospective thieves of the existence of valuables.
The right precautions, coupled with a strong insurance policy, can help you guard your assets.
Home Insurance Protection for Theft
Though you may not be able to completely eliminate the risk of theft in the Villages, your home insurance coverage can help you if the worst strikes. Most home insurance policies come with contents and personal property coverage. You might be able to use this coverage to assign a value to their personal property. If a theft occurs, you might be able to use this coverage to repair or replace your personal property.
Nonetheless, many home insurance policies exclude certain personal items from coverage. They also tend to have dollar limits on what is covered. A policyholder may only be able to get a certain amount of money from insurers to repair or replace their personal property. If you feel the need for higher coverage for specific items, consider scheduling them on your policy to their actual value.
We've got you and your personal property covered in The Villages. Call Ahrens Insurance Agency at (352) 368-7090 for a fast, free The Villages FL home insurance quote.